Medesano – a town and commune in Italy in the Emilia Romania region, Parma province, with the area of 88.8 km2.
The Medesano Commune is located:
about 22 km from Parma,
about 100 km from Bologna,
about 180 km from Milan.
The Medesano Commune consists of 22 towns and villages.
The commune is located in a mountainous area, along the Parma Apennines. Medesano is an agricultural, industrial and agritourist commune. It is situated at the Taro – the right tributary of the River Po. In one of the towns of the Medesano Commune, i.e. in Sant’ Andrea Bagni, there are thermal springs. The waters are used for treatment of various types of diseases. The health resort has modern sport and recreation facilities. In Sant’ Andrea Bagni there is also Kesselring’s bunker – in 1944 Albert Kesserling, a German commander stayed there. The patron of the Medesano Commune is St Jacob whose holiday is celebrated on 25 July. Via Francigena – a historical transalpine trail, the so-called Lombard Road or the Franks Road, leading to Rome – wends its way through the commune. There are numerous castles and churches in the commune. Since 2014 Mr Riccardo Ghidini is the Head of the Medesano Commune.
How we established cooperation with the Medesano Commune
- In January 2011, the Wyry Commune Council published information about our commune on the website at tweening.org created by the Council of European Municipalities and Regions.
- On 11 April 2013, a representative of the Association of the Council of Communes and Regions of Europe contacted the Department of Fund Acquisition and Promotion of the Wyry Commune with an offer of entering into an agreement on cooperation and friendship with the Medesano Commune in Italy.
- The above offer was presented in the session of 23 May 2013.
- On 29 May 2013, we informed the Italian side about our willingness to establish cooperation.
- On 6 February 2014, we were notified that in the session of 20 December 2013 the Medesano Commune passed a resolution aimed at entering into an agreement with the Wyry Commune.
- On 27 February 2014, the Wyry Commune Council adopted a resolution on formulating the course of actions of the Wyry Commune Head with respect to establishing international cooperation with the Medesano Commune from Italy.
- On 10 May 2014, Mr Luciano Morini – Assistant signed an agreement on cooperation with the Wyry Commune.
How the meetings of representatives of the Medesano and the Wyry Commune looked like
- On 24-26 October 2014, a return visit of representatives of the Wyry Commune to the Medesano Commune in Italy took place. The Polish delegation was welcomed in Italy by Medesano Commune Head Riccardo Ghidini. Then, they visited the Furlotti & Csrl company specialising in cured meat products which it exported to Poland – to Biedronka chain. The delegation of the Wyry Commune explored Parma, Kesselring’s bunker, thermal springs in Sant’ Andrea Bagni, middle school, kindergarten and the Medical Centre in Medesano. The delegation also visited Tecnovetro SRL company which deals with cutting glass used for making doors, stairs, floors and noise barriers. The most important element of the meeting of representatives of the both communes was signing an agreement on cooperation between the Medesano Commune and the Wyry Commune during the Chocolate Holiday.
The purpose of the visit was to conclude the agreement on cooperation between the Wyry Commune and the Medesano Commune in Italy, as well as to define directions of cooperation and sharing experience.
On 10 May 2014, the Wyry Commune signed the agreement on cooperation with the Medesano Commune in Italy during the European Picnic.
It all began in 2011, with publishing information about the Wyry Commune on the website of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions. In April 2013, we received an offer of establishing cooperation with the Medesano Commune. On 6 February 2014, we were notified that in the session of 20 December 2013 the Medesano Commune passed a resolution aimed at entering into an agreement with the Wyry Commune. On 27 February 2014, the Wyry Commune Council adopted a resolution on formulating the course of action of the Wyry Commune Head with respect to establishing international cooperation with the Medesano Commune from Italy.
The document on cooperation between the Wyry and Medesano communes was signed by: Barbara Prasoł – Wyry Commune Head and Luciano Morini – member of the Board of the Medesano Commune. Through the cooperation, the Wyry Commune wishes to broaden its horizons with new cultural, sport and economic experience.